View Single Post
Unread 15 Aug 2007, 11:28   #59
Jester
Pedantic hypocrite

Jester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Round 23 Ship Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game^
Hmmm to be honest Keizari I wasn't even aware it worked in that way.

Ill check with Appoco to see if this can/is fixed, and if not we'll address the cost of the phoenix. As mz said I also assumed that the 'unused' freezers would then simply be used to freeze the others.

Ill get back to you soon I guess.
It's not a trivial fix, and it's something that really shouldn't be fixed. If you're worried about it, adjust Phoenix/Phantom emp res/armor so that they don't flak eachother ridiculously.

The reason it shouldn't be fixed is that it provides tactical options. I've always found it slightly ironic that the low armor, cheap Xan are the ones that do the flakking and that Terran's high armor, expensive ships are OMGSUPERFLAKKED by the aforementioned.

I've considered whether it wouldn't be an idea to swap this around so that high armor efficiency goes hand in hand with low cost/small ships. This would be more fair and create less unbalanced situations, but fair and balanced is just another word for boring in my book, so I've never pursued it.

Edit:
The statement "useless ships are never a good thing" is another one that I disagree strongly with, but in this case, I just simply can't see that removing ships is wrong. Normally, my argument is that useless ships are what separate the good from the bad. A good player sees what is useless and avoids building them, a bad player doesn't and ends up with a shit fleet. But due to the mutual exclusivity of the races, the amount of ships one needs to learn becomes stupidly big, and this overrules the former concern. It really is useless to have 50 ships when any player can only build 10. Much better, in my opinion, to have 20 ships that everyone can select from. It creates much more depth.