Thread: Gambling
View Single Post
Unread 1 Jul 2006, 12:04   #45
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Gambling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
edit: I've no idea what theyre using to calculate this figure but seriously, what?
Yeah, I lolled at that too. On every level it's an idiotic statement for them to have made. Perhaps it's an average of the people who have reported they have gambling debts/problems (when seeking bankruptcy/credit advice) in which case the average would be rather high.

Having said that, I'm not entirely sure I know what they mean by "a gambling debt" in this context - surely money taken out on a credit card to gamble with isn't a gambling debt per se? I can't see William Hill or Ladbrokes lending people money directly for a range of reasons. Although I guess some places would, especially now (I presume?) these debts are enforceable.
Quote:
edit2: The attempt to construe gambling addiction as an 'illness' is also silly
Well, yeah. I think that's a more general problem with the way language is used regarding mental health issues. Terms like illness or disease (or worse, disability) have different moral & practical connotations and don't really fit here at all.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote