View Single Post
Unread 11 Dec 2009, 13:37   #91
Paisley
The brother of Spammer

Paisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of light
Talking Re: Support planet rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk View Post
Right, as much as I hate getting into a meta-debate here, that comparison was not made to suggest a similarity between cov ops and support planets, but merely to illustrate that both are features of the game. Calling for game features to be removed because "well, I don't like them" is retarded.
Your answer to "what is so different between attacking an defending, in the whole support planet debate?" appears to be "I like attacking, but I don't like defending". You know, yeah, I'm not feeling up to the task of providing arguments on this rather sub-zero level. Perhaps we can continue this discussion when you actually feel up to acknowledging how the whole "statement backed up by arguments" thing works. Let me know.
Point stands. Also, farming is not multiing, salvage donations don't have to be from support planets and support planets still doesn't imply multiing.
Not all support planets are Multis but shock horror all Multis seem to be coincidently support planets. the plot thickens

The fundamental differences between attacking and defending
The main planet doesnt want his nice support planets to take up the nice roid cap if he can land it alone. (if it is a Fleetcatch I am sure they will come in handy to add to the required defense tolerance needed to force a recall)

With defense support planets in comparision to planets that play properly can be regarded as expendable if they crash, retaling isnt much of a deterent to force a recall. and surprisingly they can be respawned quite easy. And have the required def ships on demand whilst an intag ally member might have the required ships out on attack/returning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk View Post
(I'll admit to being wrong about elviz not cheating in the last year though!)
As <3 as Elviz is (And sorry for cov oping you stupid early on in the round elviz) .... he is a reknown cheater and to claim that he is on the mend

Was you serious / was talking shite or were you just having a laugh?

edit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Theamion View Post
I couldn't help but noticing Paisley attacking a nearly fleetless scanner with 700k cath co.

Really having priorities aren't we Paisley?
The scanner was a bit of a fatty ... it was a retal.
and I wish I had 700k co
Anyway it is going off topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baracke View Post
I am still wondering how OOT def will force you into doing this as a main reason besides i still lack to see the difference on this point if it is OOT or general def. You can defend FR/DE and BS/CR waves in tag with lower class ships within 2 ticks anyway, why is the the OOT 1 tick possible lower class def disadvantage higher ranked than the in tag one ? Same reason why you would chose FI/CO instead of CR/BS . Ever heard of a strategy called recall/resend ?
You can outrun the OOT def if you are clever enough to use it.
If you cut the lower requirements on research and the mainly strategical reason to go fi/co as advantage in strategic reasons in general it maybe become one but would still be a weak one compared to the times i encounter this during the rounds i played.
The stats compared to general advantage of the lower eta and therefore less reaction time on attack fleets are mainly the reason to choose it this way , besides you can still obey this none the less.
And i wonder why you want "freedom" in this way with limiting "freedom" in another way (like the freelancer way i actualy did play in some rounds).
You would take strategic depth out of the game and restricting gameplay options (wich the actual support planet rules do allready ) for limiting an ignorable sideeffect or beneficial coordination from alliances in general.
Bit hypocrit i guess.
I'll talk you through the mechanics of it ... also feel free to visit #strategy. On the basis that everyone has researched hypergate aka eta -4.
Aswell as the support planet Isnt Ingal and in the same cluster to the target.

Your fi/co fleet has a eta of 8 in base (eta 7 when it goes "red")
The Out of Tag (oot) from the target can only do an eta of 8 which means they cant do the eta and hence cant interfere with the landing.

If you launch say a frig fleet.
Which has a eta of 9 (eta 8 when it goes "red")
The OOT def cant send frig/de/cr/bs as it cant make the eta
however it can send fi/co class anti frig to the target within the eta.

the Only way OOT def can defend against a fi/co fleet is to predict the landing tick via getting a jpg of the target and have a guess at the landing tick and set the mission accordingly.

Fleetcatches and catching a higher class fleet out of base (your fi/co fleet is eta 7 to attack when the targets de/frig fleet is eta 8 return) cant be sent recall and sent again as the timing has to be precise.

Any questions?
Paisley is offline   Reply With Quote