View Single Post
Unread 25 Apr 2005, 15:10   #6
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Neural Network Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Structural Integrity
It's actually quite interesting how our brain is made up of such a simple component as neurons and is capable of performing such complex tasks.

Reading that last article, I'm wondering if the most advanced neural networks nowadays still require the programmer/designer to define the shape/outlay of the hidden layer(s) like the guy did with his minesweeper game. Even when trying to model something as simple as a bug's brain, this seems like an overly complex task. Also, as far as I've read up on this subject in the past (which is very little) I know that the human neural network (ie: brain) rewires itself constantly when new things are learned.

I think, if people can better understand the concept of learning (ie: rewiring of the neural network and the creation of new neurons) that a very powerfull AI can easilly be created. But I'll leave that to the smart people out there.
That last link is quite awesome, it's got in simple form what I had to spend ages digging through articles to find.

A lot of researchers in this field have resorted to evolutionary algorythms which like the brain rewiring itself constantly pit a series of randomly seeded neural nets to see which comes closer to the required result, combines the two best algorythms together and uses them to seed the next generation, it's a darwinian way of automatically finding the algorythm that gives the required output.

I remember some time ago seeing an impressive demonstration of a learning animated desklamp. It was given the task of hopping from point a to point b. Between the two points was a bar that it had to either jump over or go under. They showed its progress as it made various attempts at going both ways till eventually it yielded a generation that knew the right angle and velocity to sucessfully jump over the bar.

Learning & memory recall at the moment are the holy grail of evolutionary ai, like you say to develop a fully self sustained auto programming neural net would yield some very impressive ai.

Still, I don't find ai nearly as perplexing as 3D math & programming. Though with some help from "3D Math Primer for Graphics and Game Development" my poor neural net is doing some rewiring of its own.