View Single Post
Unread 18 Sep 2004, 16:23   #16
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A bit of help needed

Actually I've used both Ghost & CasperXP recently as I did the exact same thing as you are attempting now.

They are both reliable and great programs.

However I did encounter one problem that ****ed up the whole process and resulted in me having to re-install everything anyway.

What I wasn't expecting is that it seems Windows XP assigns drive letters based on hardware identifiers of the drive. Sort of how static routing to MAC addresses work on ethernet cards. Due to this I found that the new drive I had just cloned my boot partition to was assigned a new drive letter automatically and as it was a boot partition windows would not let me change it, as a lot of the old drivers & programs were expecting to find data on C:\ and not G:\ which had been assigned to it my system crashed in a big way and refused to boot.

I'm sure there's a way around this but I never had the chance to look into it.