View Single Post
Unread 9 Nov 2013, 00:01   #1
Spinner
Founder of Planetarion

Spinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant future
7 tips on improving www.planetarion.com

(Posting again, without the incredibly silly mistake in the title)

I figured I could get my hands dirty for you, PaTeam, and have taken the time to look at the very frontpage at www.planetarion.com.
I quickly discovered 7 issues that should be corrected or improved upon that will help with the survival of the game.
Mostly, it has to do with how search-engines view your site, which is imperative if you are getting around to advertising it down the road.
Most of these are incredibly easy to sort out right away!

1: www.planetarion.com frontpage
The TITLE should either be simply "Planetarion" or also include phrases like "game", "sci-fi" etc.
And certainly not the phrase "portal"...
http://www.feedthebot.com/titleandalttags.html

2: www.planetarion.com frontpage
It has NO description-tag! Like, wtf!
This is very bad. The description is important to all search-engines.
http://www.feedthebot.com/titleandalttags.html

3: www.planetarion.com frontpage
It has NO keywords-tag! Like, wtf again!
This is bad. Keywords are important to all search-engines.
The current frontpage of Planetarion is so lacking in relevant words, an automatic keyword-generator produces these results as suggestions right now:
Main Street Pizza Game
Main Game Perang
Main Games Free
Permainan Gratis Langsung Main
Main Craft Online
Maingames
The Hamburger Game Main Idea
The Westing Game Main Characters
Black Friday October 1987
Friday October 13 2012 Birthday
Friday October 41 2012 Halloween
Friday October 41 2013 Halloween

I would strongly suggest keywords are added, like:
"game, online, mmo, strategy, space, browserbased, free"
And make sure the page displays those words at least a couple of times each in various text-bits.

4: www.planetarion.com frontpage
It has too many links, it's a good plan to keep it under 50.

5: The 4 most used words (which generate search-phrase relevance) are:
"round" - used 30 times on page
"planetarion" - used 9 times on page
"gmt" - used 8 times on page
"game" - used 7 times on page

Which is awesome if you think your potential users are searching for "round gmt game" (-:

6: It's great that PA now has it's own facebook-page.
But, seriously, link to it from www.planetarion.com (-:
"Like us on Facebook" etc.

7: Consider how your first-page is rendered (like the order of drawing). Currently, a search-spider will see this:
Planetarion Portal Login Email Password Menu Home The Game What is Planetarion Current
Games News Announcements Creators Hour End of round ceremony Development Blog Round
Information Misc Beginner s Manual User agreement Downtime Procedures IRC Guide Community
Resources Staff Templates Round Planetarion Black VisioN Round Bulletin Round signups
currently open Signup or LOGIN . Dates Round Ticks Start Friday th November Round
Ticks End Friday th December Who s Online Round Heroes and Traitors Latest Tweets hours ago
And we re off tick complete. Get those planets and ships ready for war Want to join us http t.co
Zp b pu hours ago Round starts tonight at GMT Login signup here http t.co Zp b pu Sep TICK COMPLETE.
Sep Almost minutes until the first tick of round of planetarion login signup here

You don't have to change the actual visible layout, just use positioning to get things where they should be and use the order to help spiders understand your page.

Take the time to sort these things out, I hope you do!
Help you stay strong, it would!

Good luck with the fresh round!

- Spinner