View Single Post
Unread 22 Oct 2004, 16:42   #15
Anaram

Anaram is infamous around these partsAnaram is infamous around these parts
Re: When do finance centers become more useful than mines?

A bit off topic, but...

60th finance center will cost about 70k or more of each resource (assuming 10 mines here).

If you have 2,000 asteroids, that finance center will add about 2,500 res per tick. It would take like 3 days to pay it back already.

In reality, the cost will be a lot higher because if you are big enough to have 2,000 asteroids, you'll probably need to keep security almost maxed (or lose more resources to spy ops than those centers would make you), so let's say 30% security centers and 10 mines.

100 constructions => 30 security centers, 59 finance centers, 1 factory and 10 mines.
To construct the next construction, you'll be paying 100k of each resource, in addition, you'll need 30% of a security center to balance, so effectively 130k of each resource. With some rounding it already takes a week for this finance center to be in balance. A week is a long time when you could simply have built ships with the resources and kept construction at a lower priority (suggestion: 3rd or no engineering priority) and got more immediate advantage. Having less constructions also makes you a less appealing target later into the game.

Moral of the story: don't go construction crazy.