View Single Post
Unread 20 May 2010, 17:53   #237
Sun_Tzu
Arrogant Fck

Sun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of lightSun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of lightSun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of lightSun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of lightSun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Alliance player limit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk View Post
It seems like the latest trend on the PA forums to accuse everyone you disagree with of trolling. The implication of it is that you're calling me dishonest, and you know me better than that.

Life is not binary and neither is PA. However, the only direct result VB capping has is that it makes attacking down the food chain less effective by reducing the profits of such. A logical result of this is that value is distributed more equally, which increases the number of potential targets for most planets. This is all known information.

I think we can also agree that this has not got a lot of influence on the actual rankings. Bad players will still perform badly, just not as badly. Good players will still perform well, just not as well. It's the step size between ranks that changes, not the ranks themselves.

I would argue that in the exchange of an increased number of targets for highly ranked planets, for lower capping off small targets, the smaller players have the better deal. There are very few planets that cannot target top 300 planets. The number of fleets they can bring to bear, though impressive in size, is very low. Meanwhile, the cap of each of those fleets is reduced significantly.

So even if you're right, even if this formula encourages bashing (which I still disagree with), then the smaller planets still come out ahead. Which is exactly what this formula was intended to do.

As for your argument about risk aversion, you have so far not countered my arguments against them.
Risk is a matter of expectancy, if you lower the rewards for taking risks, which in effect this does because it lowers the cap for a top players against almost all targets, coupled with a xp formulae which doesn't benefit them, means their interest is to go for the lowest risk roids at all costs. Further, there's no reward in managing to get those higher risk roids, because you're only further decreasing your potential cap for the future, so in effect the only targeting that makes sense in the long run is to throw your entire fleet at smaller players, ensuring low risk, low skill, low yield play.

Further, I accused you of being a troll, because you know better than to actually think there were only two possible answers to your question.

And your argument about higher ranked players avoiding each other was a bullshit generalization, as clearly there have been several players who did not engage in bash-tactics even before VB-capping or XP. The activity itself was rewarding, where as now it is discouraged.