View Single Post
Unread 2 Dec 2006, 14:55   #9
ComradeRob
wasted

ComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: [Long]On dedication, honour and teamplay.

You sound a lot like I did after round 14. I played that round in the most 'traditional' way possible (decent planet rank, MO for my alliance) and it was physically and mentally exhausting (especially following round 13, where I did pretty much the same thing but on the losing side).

1up in round 13 was thoroughly dispiriting. At times it seemed like there were only a handful of us showing any initiative, whilst everyone else seemed to simply expect the 1up machine to deliver a victory yet again, regardless of their individually stupid choices (half of 1up went Cath, in one of the worst Cath rounds ever). Winning battles against eXilition and LCH was fun, even though we lost the war, but watching SeqZ (who volunteered to be a military officer and then used his access simply to find targets to counter, and had a planet NAP with eXilition) finish ahead of Jester (who went random, ran defence and was easily the best planet player in r13 1up) was annoying, to say the least. I played r14 out of the conviction that 1up should have its revenge; we did win the round and I did get my top 10 rank, but eX didn't play so it was not really the revenge we hoped for.

After that, I swore never to play that actively again (it made me physically ill ). I spent r15 as a solo xp whore, and discovered that it was a quite enjoyable way of playing the game. In r16 I did the same again, but as part of a group

Without wishing to sound like an Ascendancy PR gimp, I think perhaps we have the right idea about how to play PA. We're having fun without ruining our lives to do it, and the loyalty and camaraderie is excellent precisely because we don't try to be a totalitarian alliance controlling every aspect of our members' behaviour, nor do we get upset about losing roids. The problem for many alliances now seems to be that they are fighting a losing battle between the demands of RL (which say that staying up all night is bad, and getting attacked a lot is also bad) and the demands of traditional PA alliances (which want you up at 3am to send def, and expect you to never make a planet NAP). Ironically, part of the reason that we have as many roids as we do is because we don't tire ourselves out by staying up all night, every night. Most alliances burn out and collapse before the finish line, like a marathon runner who starts to sprint too early.
“They were totally confused,” said the birdman, whose flying suit gives him a passing resemblance to Buzz Lightyear in Toy Story. “The authorities said that I was an unregistered aircraft and to fly, you need a licence. I told them, ‘No. To fly, you need wings’.”
ComradeRob is offline   Reply With Quote