View Single Post
Unread 29 May 2012, 13:16   #8
Tiamat101

Tiamat101 is a jewel in the roughTiamat101 is a jewel in the roughTiamat101 is a jewel in the roughTiamat101 is a jewel in the rough
Re: Reworking the Research Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk View Post

Why these changes? How does it make the game better? I don't really have much against them, but they seem pretty pointless to me.

These changes are to give research a bigger impact on the game beyond tick 300/400. Right now as soon as you get your tt done there really is no rush on getting other research done because theres no long term benifit. Sure getting inc scans would be nice and being able to get the hct faster is cool but it only really affects top tier planets as you said below. With the changes to Cp and prod bonus it means theres a long term benifit from getting those researches early. Its possible that you could get 250 cons 1/2 way through the round with the bonuses to CP and reduced costs. That would give you a HUGE increase in value over the rest of the uni that would be sitting on ~~ 120 cons.

Quote:

I am in favour of doing something about the power of fi/co. My approach is to swap the travel times. Bigger ships get bigger engines, get more speed, get lower travel time. Swapping the researches works just as well, with one limitation: changing the order of research gives everyone SKs right away, while changing the travel times does not. Since it doesn't make sense to research tiny ships alongside planet glassers, I prefer the travel time approach.

I would also move the SK's/ Resource ships to the 3rd tier of research. I don't like the idea of changing the eta's of the ships themselves but the swapping of the order would cause some people to consider if they want to run a xan fi alliance, as it would take them a while to get to fi/co and also when they go them any fr/de with tt-1 would be able to defend them so it would put more power to cr/bs and fr/de earlier in the round, and fi/co would be strong late round like it usually is.

Quote:

Two things: One, core extraction is already really good. Making them another 60% stronger is a bad move, in my most humbly opinion. Two, a flat income bonus is unnecessary, because FCs already provide this.
Once again going back to making research stronger and giving more planet choices and having people make sacrafices, do you really want to get that hct 6 or get the extra + 6% mining bonus and bonus resources. Which would make it so there were a lot more variability between the planets espeically top planets that could now get close to +100% mining.

As I mentioned before i made this suggestion to be just that a suggestion and want to gage reactions from it. They are not huge changes and prolly would not be implemented all at once.

As for your waves comment you think that scans need to be changed? I think cov-ops need a tune-up as far as some of the things you can do with them, There are a few opperations that don't have a purpose and I am sure there can be better ones that people will actually use.