View Single Post
Unread 20 Aug 2007, 23:46   #9
Monroe
Planetarion Forum Moderator

Monroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud of
Re: Fleet commanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny
Erm, yes necessarily....
The traits you mentioned are also considerably naive. Your suggestions for "battle focused traits" show a clear lack of understanding of the way statistics work, and how they 'balance out'.
Well what this really shows is that I don't like long posts and so don't flesh out ideas completely because I for one hate reading long posts. In terms of a 'flagship' I would assign it the same way a golden roid is assigned now. So from the game's perspective lets hard code it so that it always assigns to the FC to the largest class of ship in the fleet and then picks one ship in that class and assigns it the 'FC' tag. When a battle occurs and x% of that class are destroyed there should be an x% of the FC also being killed, the game engine would simply roll a die and if the number falls within x then the FC is killed, if not he returns home. This is basically the same way the golden roid works, so I don't see how it would be outside the current game capabilities.

As for "battle focused traits" I didn't want to put down specifics, but things like a 5% increase in armour, 5% EMP efficiency increase, etc would be they types of increases a top level FC would give. I don't see what is unreasonable about this type of trait at least in theory.

In terms of keeping FCs from one round to the next. Contrary to your statement this does not entirely defeat the purpose of a reset, as everyone still starts at 0 score/roids/ships and if good FCs are expensive to maintain they don't become a factor until later in the round. There are always ways to balance things out and to simply reject any idea, whether it turns out to be a good idea or not, without giving it full consideration is foolishness.

#strategy
Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote