View Single Post
Unread 13 Dec 2009, 09:37   #31
rUl3r

rUl3r has a spectacular aura aboutrUl3r has a spectacular aura about
Re: To continue JBG's request...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GReaper View Post
I'm sure there's plenty of other war based themes which can still keep the original feel of attacking/defending, Travian is a typical example. It's just a case of coming up with a new convincing theme which hasn't really been done before.
Having played Travian, I don´t find it appealing at all. It´s a game that rewards activity and investing money above everything else - probably with as much emphasis on micro payments as on activity. While this may be a nice way to generate money, it´s no game I´d like to play.
I wonder how many "serious" players you find there. I know there are tons of smallies all the time who can basically play some SimTravian (just as I´m playing SimPlanets on the Imperion test server, Sci-Fi based Travian-like game) until some big player comes along to completely bash whatever you´ve built up into the ground - thanks to dynamic traveltime you might go to bed and wake up to a completely trashed account. Also, the game itself gets boring pretty quickly for a casual player, since constructions and stuff take ages later on.

In fact, Travian might be the perfect example of drawing players with a somewhat proper GUI and alot of nice graphics - comic style even, no state-of-the-art graphics design. I´d question how many people can actually be bothered to keep on playing, but I´d think the fluctuation is rather big.
rUl3r is offline   Reply With Quote