View Single Post
Unread 20 Nov 2010, 17:05   #15
Judge
Doh!

Judge is infamous around these parts
Re: multihunters are utter fail

I find this amazing, it used to be that people got a warning and an invitation (upon threat of closure) to attend the MH channel or respond using the support/mh tickets.

Every man and his Monkey complained about this, and may I say most vociferously, and the suggestion was made *by many* that the offence hardly warranted a threat of closure and should just be dealt with?

So the "team" took this on board and the idea/suggestion was implemented, and now it is the case that R/P and Fleet names are changed and the user is advised of this, they then have an opportunity to put a suggestion for a new one, and if suitable it is allowed.

This to me seems quite reasonable.

And yet people still complain?

FYI this is how it works:
R/P names are gone through at pre-start usually by at least 2 members of the team at which point any blatantly offensive ones are dealt with, others that may have a double meaning or be considered as possibly offensive are discussed by all the team and a consensus is agreed along with a course of action.

As the round progresses, there are occasional checks, but mostly the new planets that may have dodgy names are reported via various methods. Fleet Names generally are reported, but there are random checks done about once a week by team members who go through all the fleet names.

Whilst this is not ideal, you have to consider that no one MH does the Job full time, all of them have a RL and work, have kids, grandkids etc so it is not possible to always act "instantly" when something may be offensive, or give offence.

The alternative to changing what are considered to be offensive/abusive names is to go back to how it was previously, or to not allow players to pick any names at all, and just have all planets as a number/letter sequence?

I think that the current system whilst not perfect, is good, less intrusive, and allows for some flexibility, the very few idiots that decide to push the boundaries round after round (and it is always the same morons) deserve everything they get.