View Single Post
Unread 14 Aug 2007, 11:58   #38
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: What Should be Taught in Schools?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
Yes. And on a personal level, I would certainly pay more attention to the things someone chose to study/work on than the things they're forced to do. If you see someone has a GCSE or O-Level in French, you can't really draw any conclusions at all. But from the projects they've chosen to work on - well that means a quite a bit more.
Have you done any recruitment before? I'm not entirely sure how a large company would filter down 1000s of application forms to even 100 or so, from completely qualititative data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
There will be some people who wouldn't learn in the class-room, and would play football or "mess around" all day instead of reading / doing other work. And guess what - that's OK too. Screaming and shouting and stamping our collective feet until everyone behaves the same way like good little drones doesn't actually seem to work (or do our society any good).
Replace "some people" with "nearly all teenagers" and you'd be right. I'm not sure what you think a generation of people who are entirely hedonistic and live for the fun side of things while never needing to worry about work will achieve for the country.

It's very nice, nod and Dante, to think that all children are eager to learn and if you give them the opportunity and tools that they'll happily sit there and become learned in something they want to find out more about.

The sad truth is that most kids would choose David Beckham Studies or Beauty Therapy as they simply aren't mature enough emotionally, mentally or educationally to be able to sit down and work independently. They need pushing and guiding through their teenage years as this is the BEST way of educating them.

Of course there will always be a few exceptions, but please take off the rose-tinted glasses and assume that the average 14 year old has the same view on life as you do. For the most part, kids want to have fun. The best way of educating them is to use the subject (for example, mine is IT) and put it in a situation where they want to use it to learn. Laissez-Faire doesn't work. Maybe it's the culture, maybe it's the parents, maybe it's the ethos of schools. But it wouldn't change overnight anyway, and with your method of "leave them to it", you'd end up with a bunch of self-centred degenerates.