View Single Post
Unread 13 Aug 2007, 17:41   #23
Bedda0815
jerk

Bedda0815 is on a distinguished road
Re: What Should be Taught in Schools?

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Systems Go
It's an island of the coast of Spain. If the question is 'will most people go any further east than Turky? then the answer is probably not. If people just travel within Europe there's got to be about 20 languages so which do you teach? There's certain realities that need to be faced, nt every school is going to be able to have a teacher for every language IN THE WORLD so the choice is probably going to be limited to one or two anyway.
Europe, well that's easy.
There are 2 main groups of languages (screw you finnland, and Hungary, you too)
Indo-german languages and Roman languages. If you're able to speak one of each and someone who is talking another language and slows down you might find out if he is trying to tell you the name of his/her boy/girlfriend or if he/she is trying to tell you the way to the next trainstation.

I for example have never learned a single word in dutch, but if a dutch speaker slows down I might understand him after some thinking due to the fact that i know (a lil bit) english and german.
Quote:
Originally Posted by All Systems Go
IAt 14 I wanted to see the world, one language isn't goig to have a significant impact.
At least it will give you an idea how it feels if you want to express yourself in a foreign language.

So it might help you to understand someone who is talking to you in your native language in case this language is not his native language.
Bedda0815 is offline   Reply With Quote