Thread: donation whores
View Single Post
Unread 21 Mar 2010, 22:28   #33
Light
You've Seen The Light

Light has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond repute
Re: donation whores

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk View Post
The spirit of the game is cooperation. This can be seen from the fact that planets cannot do well without the support of an alliance, without the support of a decent galaxy and without a reasonable network of friends. It can also be seen from the fact that alliance frequently work together, which has in fact now been formalised ingame as well, with the introduction of the NAP-system. Furthermore, as Zaejii said, donations have been used in the past to give late sign ups a boost up the rankings, as well as in other situations. PA is more a game of cooperation than it is a game of combat.
The spirit of the game is co-operation but that does not mean nor imply that donations in order to gain an advantage over everyone else is allowed or should be allowed. There are obviously levels of co-operation which are not allowed such as the support rule.

Also, donations may of been used in the past to give late signups a boost but there is a huge difference between boosting a lower value/score new planet to catch up with the rest of the universe and boosting someone to be 2x the size of the #1 planet.

Quote:
I do not believe rules should not have a "spirit". If you can't rigorously define what is not allowed, it should not be defined at all. But if we for a minute assume the support planet rules do have a "spirit", it's that people without tag or in tag X cannot dedicate a significant portion of their time and effort to the furthering of the goals of tag Y. The same can be said of galaxies. However, people are entirely allowed to support someone in their own tag. And again, the same goes for galaxies.
The donation rule spirit is to enable lower planets or new planets to be donated resources in order to catch up with the rest of the universe. It is therefore not in the spirit of the donation rules to donate someone to be 2x the size of the #2 planet.

Quote:
The people in 10:4 have said they're doing it to show that the donation system is broken. I disagree with this assessment. There are many effective and legitimate uses for it, for example the aforementioned boosting of late sign ups. I don't see this case as being particularly different from what has happened in the past, except maybe as far as effectiveness is concerned. I do not think this will do the guy they donated to much good. He'll have a big planet for a while, but he will be unable to cap many roids because of his value, which will stunt his growth, while his galaxy's growth is also stunted because they gave away all their value and won't be able to gain roids either. In a couple of weeks the guy they donated to will be just as big as he would have been if he had played normally, while his galaxy will be smaller than they would have been if they'd played normally. And I haven't even touched on how the guy they donated to will get through the coming night.
Yes, there are many effective and legitimate uses for it but this is not one of them.
He may only be able to get minimum cap on most (if not all) planets in the universe but he can now 3 fleet with 3 fleet decent fleets and he can hit the top planets with a very very strong possibility of landing all the time.

Quote:
In order for this strategy to be called an "exploit", it has to have some tangible gain for the people that use it while harming those who do not. Based on the above reasoning, I fail to see how this strategy can be said to meet either of those criteria.

**** subjectivity.
Having double the value of the #2 planet is not a tangible gain? even if its just a short term gain instead of longterm, it is still a gain which also harms other top planets who are now extremly easy targets and will continue to be easy targets while he maintains the lead. Those other top planets would of been able to get the required defence and/or use the upgrade bonus or stockpile bonus to stop some waves from landing on them but if this guy decides to attack its almost impossible to stop him at this point in the game.

If he decides to join an alliance attack and the galaxy decides to defend against the huge fleet, then isnt that diverting more galaxy fleets than would otherwise allowing other members to land?

Its clearly an exploit and the donation rule should be changed to avoid this situation from happening again.
First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it.
Light is offline   Reply With Quote