Thread: Norsemen
View Single Post
Unread 4 Aug 2015, 10:12   #10
Clouds

Clouds is a splendid one to beholdClouds is a splendid one to beholdClouds is a splendid one to beholdClouds is a splendid one to beholdClouds is a splendid one to beholdClouds is a splendid one to beholdClouds is a splendid one to behold
Re: Norsemen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistwraith View Post
Not really a place for a dicussion on the merits of another communication tool but heres my tuppence on the subject.
Irc was the 1st tool used for pa, at that time it was not integrated, I've gone through the years with galaxies and alliances that used various tools, msn chat room, irc, whatsapp, a realtime chat verbally one i cant for the life of me remember the name of and now this one.
Once upon a time many alliances owned their own irc servers, now i suspect its just us ( netgamers like pa was notoriously unstable in the early rounds ).
Its just the new toy, another will replace it and it will if the rules change on encryption/traceability by security services of messages be subject to not being totally private just like whatsapp and any other direct communication tools.
Players need to connect with everyone in the game not just their alliance, without community this game isnt all that much fun.
The one main reason why alliances are moving over to slack is the @group notifications. @group/@everyone etc will notify everyone in the channel (similar to /notice but highlights like an sms/WhatsApp message does) and sends the notification to all devices that is connected to the user's Slack account. IRC cannot do this. This is useful for important notices such as defence calls, and it's free.

Sure, there's WhatsApp/Telegram/SMS, but Slack's @group notifications works like WhatsApp/Telegram which will send a notification to the user's wireless device (a phone). Other than @group notifications, Slack is like irc in terms of the layout and how you communicate.

I understand that you're old school and loyal to the old technology, but players/alliances aren't going to improve themselves by using IRC as their main communication platform.

I know how useful Norsemen finds Slack (especially InNeed). Last round, all it took was for InNeed to type a single line and they launched their attacks within minutes. (@group Launch so and so at x:y:z now!) this sends a notification to your phone like how you receive an sms, but instead of typing .sms <member> <msg> 40 times, it only took one line and everyone received the notification.

Last edited by Clouds; 4 Aug 2015 at 10:18.
Clouds is offline   Reply With Quote