Thread: CPU's yo
View Single Post
Unread 19 Jun 2006, 19:38   #5
Ramihyn
Emperor

Ramihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud of
Re: CPU's yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JammyJim
Athlon64 3800+
Athlon64 4000+

OR

Athlon 64 dual core 3800+
You should make sure your video-compression program is able to use dual-core CPUs. Im not sure if simply launching two conversions at the same time is an alternative.

I would definately calc how much additional energy the second core is using up when it is not in use as i have my computers running 12 to 16 hours a day and most of the time the second core would be completely useless. I would hope that its possible to completely disable the second core to avoid the operating system automatically using the second core for nonsense tasks like a webbrowser, winamp or text editors and therefore keeping it running all the time.

Intel has announced severe price cuts for its CPUs recently and AMD will follow - you should definately watch the (coming) price changes as they can make up to 60%.
Ramihyn is offline   Reply With Quote