Thread: New-Race
View Single Post
Unread 22 Oct 2007, 09:22   #40
-Blue Moon-
Hello Tietäjä

-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future
Re: New-Race

i've said 100 times both here in public and on private forums that if you want to make easily balanced stats, you need a number of attack fleets relative to the number of races and classes.

There are 6 classes of ship and I cannot envisage that ever changing.
There are 2 attack fleets per race.
There are currently 5 races.

5 times 2 is 10. But there's 6 classes, so there will always be 2 classes (generally fighter and cruiser class) which only have one attack fleet present.

overall, it makes it hard to balance the big picture.

Imagine now if we had 6 races, 12 attack fleets (6x2) and the 6 classes of ship.

How easy would that be to balance? Two attack fleets in EVERY class!

2 fighter fleets for example:
one can hit Ter Xan Cat
one can hit Zik Etd XXX

or

one can hit Ter Xan
one can hit Etd Cat
both can hit Zik
and neither can hit XXX

You literally spread the amounts of hits among the classes to ensure that every race can attack X number of others, and be hit by Y number. Ease of balancing - oh so easy!

Fleets can literally be tailored for this. It's so easy.

Only problem is nobody has thought of an idea for a 6th race yet (and to be fair, Etd wasn't actually that great of an idea anyway). I though I had it once with superheavy (slow init10+ ships with high armour and high damage) and superlight ships (really fast init, low damage, low armour) but nobody really got excited about it. I even made a set of working stats for it, which can be found on a private forum here if you happen to have access.

Think of a good idea for a 6th race and I guarantee stats will be able to sort themselves out!

- tux

R1-2 [VanX] - R3 [Legion] - R4 [Legion/Shogun/FORT] - R5-6 [WP/Shogun/FORT] - R7-8 [VsN] - R9-R9.5 [Seraphim/VsN]- R10-12 [WP] R13 [1up/eXilition] R14 [Orbit/scanner] R15 [eXilition] R16 [Orbit/scanner] R17 [Subh/scanner] R18 [eXilition] R19 [F-Crew/scanner] R20 [Orbit/Destiny/scanner] R21-22 [Orbit/scanner] R23-25 [In-gal-def-ho]
-Blue Moon- is offline   Reply With Quote