View Single Post
Unread 25 Feb 2006, 11:40   #38
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: Education as opposed to innate intelligence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
To be honest, I think that if you write by consciously following some essay schemata then youre almost certainly a poor writer
I wouldnt be so quick to judge, quite frankly. I've found that by following this general structure it benefits me as i know what i want to be writing about when, whilst not forgetting to include anything (such as evidence or checking for relevence) - this means that in an exam i dont need to waste time writing a plan before jumping right in as my introduction is my plan. It means i dont waste time continuously re-checking what i have written as i know what i wrote where. It also has added bonuses for those who are marking my work as they know what to look for where, and give marks appropriately. It is clearly better than having absolutely no form or structure to my work as that makes assigning marks harder for the examiner which isnt the smartest thing to do. Finally, by following a set structure doesnt detract from the content which is what you should be focusing on - good writers have imaginative (and accurate) content presented in a clear and concise fashion i believe. Having a firm structure to work from detracts nothing from those goals, and indeed can strengthen a piece with little or no additional effort, which results in superior grades which is kinda the point.

Also, keep in mind that the student that Yahwe was describing sounded intelligent, merely lacking the will or the skills to write in a suitable fashion - a perfect candiate for being taught good essay structure as all the imagination and content is there, only the form needs addressing (it seems).

Yahwe: any progress?
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote