Thread: Blocks in r9.5
View Single Post
Unread 20 May 2003, 19:17   #42
Bashar
Idle Git

Bashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet society
Quote:
Originally posted by JonnyBGood
My point is that you're introducing something contextual to reality into an arena wholly unsuited for it. The interactions between people in Planetarion have an affect, I did not deny this. However the only affect they have is that which we choose to let them have. Your initial example of honour is not about honour either, it's about truth and falsity. Honour is following an expected code which isn't obligatory but which everyone follows out of common interest. How this can apply to a game in which common interest does not operate is beyond me.

How can PA have meaning? You can't just claim that something is honourable without offering proof that it is. I could say that stealing roids from players at the outer edge of your cap is honourable. Who is to say it isn't? How do social conventions defined by human society operate somewhere which by it's very being is different? It's real as it affects you, and each individual. However it doesn't affect all of us the same. Honour simply cannot operate in a system such as this.
My god, you really are clueless. You are essentially saying that human nature is different within PA, and this is blatant crap. Human nature is the same wherever humans are. Alliances are proof of this!

Also, when you mentions my initial example of honour, I get this strange feeling that you are referring to someone elses initial example of honour.

Further to this, your very own definition of honour suggests that honour is a major part of PA, the wording is practically perferct for describing defending allies. It is expected, but not obligatory, and it is done from a common interest. After all, after people have lost any chance of winning, they still hang around to make the alliance as strong as possible, and that is a common interest (I admit that not all people do this, some people run to a different alliance that is winning, these people are dishonourable). Your own definition disproves your point.

How can PA have meaning? - Simple - people put time and effort into it, they don't want to see it go to waste. They have friends in PA, some people even have friends they have made through PA that are very good friends in real life. PA is not just a game, it is a community, and that is what matters. The game holds the community together, and is a common factor for the community. As such, it has a lot of meaning. It might not have meaning to you, and in which case, I question your being here, as surely you should just play, and not interact in the community. Also, if people don't work to a common goal, then nobody would be in an alliance, they have common goals.

From your post, I am willing to suggest that you don't play PA in the same way as others, and if you are in an alliance, then I am quite willing to bet you are a crap member. I know for a fact that I wouldn't want somebody like you in my alliance. PA may not be the real world, but it is a near perfect microcosm of the real world. I don't really understand where your views come from, unless of course you are one of these true individuals that doesn't know what it means to be part of a team.