Thread: Blocks in r9.5
View Single Post
Unread 20 May 2003, 18:08   #40
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Bashar
I think you miss the point. Honour is not something that can only be applied to certain situations. If you say you will do something, and you do, especially at loss to yourself, then you are being honourable. If the fleet someone has worked to build means something to them, and they lose it defending a friend, and they knew they would, then that IS honour. You talk about real to illustrate your point. Is meaning not real? Hence if something means something to someone, does it not have to be real? I would agree that honour has orders of magnitude, and that honour within PA is not up there with risking/losing your own life for someone, but WITHIN PA itself, losing your fleet is one of the most honourable things you can do. Things are all relative, and when discussing something like honour within PA, you must keep it relative to things within PA.

And your argument is effectively that it is something unimportant. I beg to differ, if someones fleet is important to them, then it is honorable of them to knowingly lose it in defence of a friend.

Real is not just what you can touch and see, as if it were, emotions would not be real. Are you going to deny their relevance?
My point is that you're introducing something contextual to reality into an arena wholly unsuited for it. The interactions between people in Planetarion have an affect, I did not deny this. However the only affect they have is that which we choose to let them have. Your initial example of honour is not about honour either, it's about truth and falsity. Honour is following an expected code which isn't obligatory but which everyone follows out of common interest. How this can apply to a game in which common interest does not operate is beyond me.

How can PA have meaning? You can't just claim that something is honourable without offering proof that it is. I could say that stealing roids from players at the outer edge of your cap is honourable. Who is to say it isn't? How do social conventions defined by human society operate somewhere which by it's very being is different? It's real as it affects you, and each individual. However it doesn't affect all of us the same. Honour simply cannot operate in a system such as this.