View Single Post
Unread 4 Jan 2014, 00:56   #33
Truhatred

Truhatred is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Feedback requested: Covert Ops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrikc View Post
If covert ops disappeared today, I would not enjoy Planetarion one bit less because of it, quite likely the opposite. That not saying I think it should be removed before exploring more options, and I think the last few changes were definitely an improvement, but to me they are and always will be a minor nuisance to the actual game.
I could say the same about dists/fc's/refinery's/cores

These are all things that if just went away people would be able to have an easier time figuring out what they want to build or research next.... Covert ops was finally changing the "Meta" or "Cookie cutter" aspect of the game. People were branching out and thinking "Whats better now a sec center or finance center?" "Should i research cores or cov ops?" No we just went back to the same ole game where there are about 10 cov oppers that farm the lowbies to feed their galaxy fund and the gal m8's full of resources while they are able to stay low and sit on the same amount of roids their gal m8's have(Eventually) without much danger of being attacked. If anything needs to be nerfed still its resource hacks. Not warp drive.
P scan reveals your resources so you know what you get with a hack. You never know if the person ur Warp Driving has their ships home or not. Or What ships they have home... You could potentially steal all ships that don't fit ur build and become wasted value. You also take more risks with warp drive because you are typically looking for certain ships. Ex. if i go cath CR I want to steal ZIK CR. Any ship that I steal thats fi/fr/de/bs is useless to me and I may as well salvage.
There are too many UNKNOWN variables that also hurt cov ops in general which is why u need to gain so much out of it when u are successful. You can't always see if someone just got hacked in the past 3 ticks to see if thier alert increased. You can't see if their population is set on security. You can't always see if their Nationalism. And the WORST Unknown of all.... I random a roll 1-20 which I never get to actually know what it was to see if my cov op is a success. I could hack someone with 70 stealth and roll a 20 when he has 85 alert . I win this time but only had a 25% chance to do it again(but I don't know that) So I will cov op again in a few ticks and fail. Now I have spent more resources than I have gained. Without taking away the useless ships i have.
Truhatred is offline   Reply With Quote