View Single Post
Unread 13 Dec 2005, 15:39   #5
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Problems with boot sector

Please note:
I am not talking about the "Repair Install".
I am talking about the Recovery Console (that is what pressing R gets you to).

Repair install attempts to "reset" XP while maintaining the registry so that all your settings/email/programs still work.

The Recovery Console boots a basic, console access only version of XP off the CD and then provides a logon to your installed version (again still at the console).
It allows access to admin tools such as fsutil, chkdsk, and of course fixboot and fixmbr. It also allows for limited file copy access (which may be extended by changing the local security policy).

Where I am going with this is that if using the Recovery Console screws up your install, it's because you did something you shouldn't - not because microsoft ballsed it up.

[edit]
As it's an SATA harddisk you did remember to supply the drivers when prompted during the installer right? The bit at the start when it says something along the lines of "Press F6 now if you need to use any third party RAID or storage device drivers". If not, you will need your drivers on a floppy disk as it can only read them from the floppy for some unknown reason.

Just to confuse matters, it will work with some SATA controllers (including the nVidia one on my nForce4 based board) without additional drivers, so you don't necessarily need them.