View Single Post
Unread 25 Nov 2005, 12:59   #26
DIllar
Wannabe Newbie

DIllar has a spectacular aura aboutDIllar has a spectacular aura about
Re: Longer Drinking Hours

these new laws will not bring us anywhere near to the continental drinking culture. Mainly because many young people dont want that to happen. Personally i would welcome a more continental approach to drinking. Some of my friends raised an interesting point, perhaps if parents invited their children to have a drink with their meal, at a young age(likein europe) then these children will not see binge drinking at 16 as an act of rebellion, which I think is major cause of why we have this culture we do now. If drinking alcohol wasn't seen as such rebellious act, then perhaps young teenagers would not binge drink as much as they do.
I have been to france for the past 6 years, and have loved the cafe culture they have over there. Life is very realxed. 12 year olds are being taughthow to appreciate things such as wine and food, and you can see the impact this has on them later on, ie a lack of binge drinking. I'm not saying France is perfect (ie regarding the recent mass riots) but I do believe they have certain things off to a tee. At the minute I am at university, and i can guarantee you that these new drinking laws will only make the problem worse. the funny thing is the pubs/clubs also realise this, with only 300 pubs/clubs succesfully applying for the new opening times.
Young people need to be shown that they can have fun without having to get pissed.

Einstein

[Papal Knights]
DIllar is offline   Reply With Quote