View Single Post
Unread 13 Nov 2015, 12:10   #18
Paisley
The brother of Spammer

Paisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Beta testers Wanted.

I would like to thank all those who took part in the beta (there was about 25 testers I was aiming for 30 but better than 3 lol) and it was a success, me and Jintao thought there was an issue with the salvage when there was both kill and steal ships in defence but appoco says there is no fault and everything else was ok nothing out of the ordinary.

What does this mean?
It means that there SCOPE to have steal ships that don't die after capping
It means that the Stat makers in the community can now break the mold for the last ~30 rounds.

<Bastet> are planned for 65?
<Paisley> I wouldnt say so im hoping someone can come up with better thats than me
<Paisley> but I would say this ... the beta stats are more entertaining that certain previous rounds

I also said to appoco that him and the MHs would also would need to have a conversation aswell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk View Post
Quite frankly, the claim that giving races a steal ship changes their fundamental identity is ludicrous. Such an identity can only be expressed in terms of how they impact the way the races are played, yet all races are played the same way. You launch, calc, land or recall, then repeat. You pick targets in the same way, you calc in the same way. Yeah, the combat works out a little differently

This lack of differentiation is reflected in the way people pick races. 340 people who have played more than 20 rounds under the same nick since Etd was introduced, up to r61. Here's the breakdown in the number of races each of those people played:

Code:
| Races played | Number of people |
|--------------+------------------|
|            1 |                6 |
|            2 |                5 |
|            3 |               23 |
|            4 |               66 |
|            5 |              240 |
Only 10% of those people have played 3 or fewer races over their career. Of those 340 people, 83 play the same race at least 50% of the time, and 28 at least 75% of the time. Imperial is the champion of diversity, playing 4 races 22% of the time each and Ter 13%.

Of the 11 people who play the same race at least 90% of the time, we have 3 Ters (MD, SpaceLegend, MarkB), 4 Cats (Evil_Dooms, Kallysandra, Spritfire, DigitalZero), 1 Xan (Epcylon), 3 Ziks (Ace, Dunkelgraf, bird) and 0 Etds. All of them picked another race at most twice.

This indicates that the vast majority of people feel that the differences between the races are superficial and/or unimportant, and use other metrics to decide what race to pick from round to round, such as ally strat.

I'd also argue that the races are not really that different with 1 steal ship. Cat non-EMP ships are historically underbuilt, Ter is the race most like Zik. That leaves Xan, which apparently few people are a diehard fan of anyway, which is weird, considering it usually outperforms all other races.

As for that old thread, it was hilarious, thanks for the link. I was kind of angry at/all the time!
Cheers for your Input Mz ... Question, have you had a shot at making the stats?