View Single Post
Unread 8 Jul 2010, 09:47   #333
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place
Re: World Cup Prediction Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjeldoran View Post
Btw, if you DID watch the game, you'd have noticed Spain did use the flanks alot more then in the previous games.

I did, and I do agree that a switch to a clear 4-5-1 to dominate the mid pitch was a very good one from Del Bosque. It isn't the first time I vote for Spain to add on flanks, and while Pedro isn't as technically talented as many in the Spain squad are, he makes up for it by rigorously working in both directions. He somehow reminds me of Park Ji Sung. I think succesfull modern football requires support in front in term of attacking full backs (e.g Maicon, Ramos, Johnson), but it needs to be backed up by midfielders covering more ground.

What comes to the game being really dull. It was a very tactical game, however, my personal preferences lean more towards finding fast paced, attacking football spiced with the occasional mistakes fun to watch. I'm not so much a fun of chess-like ball moving ad infinitum. This is just preference - and this is why I found say Germany - England a good game to view, and Ghana - Uruguay. In contrary to all Spain games so far, they provided with a bunch of pace and events. The extremely slow possession play (slow to the point where you're bound to have 8 men standing in the box before you even consider passing in) isn't so delightful for me, while it does seem to excel very well at grinding 1-0 wins. The super slow pace and extremely cautious play just kills it for me - I don't find watching building up balls from near the opposition box back down to keeper and back up again too entertaining.

I don't hate the playstyle because I'd dislike it for no particular reason. My disapproval of it has to do with the kind of games it results in - and has resulted in this world cup. Predominantly extremely slow paced, low goal, low chance, low mistake type of football. Mourinho is partially to blame for building up (a very succesful) counter tactic for the Spanish control ball, but this is what we're going to be seeing from now on.

I understand some people fancy it due to the technical quality of short passes, touches, and controlling the ball, but there's only so many short passes I'm keen on watching when the flair of a Messi doesn't provoke the great sparks to break the silence in the offensive side.
Tietäjä is offline   Reply With Quote