View Single Post
Unread 16 Jul 2006, 05:02   #44
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: The Big Ol' War Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by s|k
You know what I find interesting is how much the Islamic world is divided, despite its univeral antipathy for Israel. I guess a lot of the division comes from the fact that Hezbollah started this current problem, and not everyone agrees with the action. But I think it is interesting, because you can kind of see what how the Arab states are thinking about this. Some of these states seem like they want peace with Israel, they don't want to fight.
Yes, well, some of these states have signed peace treaties with Israel presumably because they're tired of fighting (or possibly tired of losing). The previous strategy of declaring war on Israel en masse wasn't very successful.
Quote:
What surprises me is how unwilling they are to unite, dispite Israel's overbearing assault of Lebanon. You think their condemnation would be stronger, their unity stronger, and their support for Lebanon more than words.
Arab/Islamic unity is something of a myth but that aside there are several reasons why a number of Arab states might not be keen on backing Hezbollah. Some of the reasons I've seen/heard:
  • Some of the Arab states have figured out that however much they might hate Israel, provoking or attacking her militarily just gets a lot of people (mostly Arabs) killed and accomplishes nothing.
  • Hezbollah didn't consult with the other Arab states before poking the Israelis with a sharp stick (or they did consult but didn't listen when the Arab states suggested that maybe now wasn't a good time).
  • Hezbollah is a Shia organization and most Arab states are predominantly Sunni.
  • Hezbollah is an Iranian client and some Arab states don't like the Iranians (the most critical of Hezbollah have been the Saudis who are also the least friendly towards iran).
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote