View Single Post
Unread 1 Aug 2007, 14:57   #27
AdmV0rl0n

AdmV0rl0n is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: two additional ship types

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tietäjä
Because if your idea is on a level where you change it alledgedly three times in a thread, and feel need to post three consencutive posts on the same thread in space of twenty minutes (without anyone else posting on the thread), the chance is you could really do with some formulating the idea before posting it.
I was not just changing it. I was partly answering people's postings, fleshing out the idea.

Quote:
Yeah. To elaborate further so that the other posters understands too. First, it's cool and nice to introduce new revolutionary ideas. For example, for round 21 a revolutionary new-school steal ship, thief was introduced. The people commented on it stating it's an ackwardly stupid idea, and should never be completed, but irregardless it was. For the sake of experimenting. After the round, noticing that harpies rarely got to fire at thieves (only under those situations when there was EMP-ships stunning thieves before they'd die stealing harpies), the experiment was ended as it was discovered "fundamentally" faulty. I hope this serves as a lesson why things shouldn't be implemented just for sake of experimenting.
The ship stats are riddled with ships that are useless against certain other ships. Again, to be clear, its the Reason TER have BS fleets, Cat have CR fleets, Xan have FI fleets. I know its exceedingly hard for some of you to grasp, but this section of the forum is for people to throw out ideas. Thats going to include things that don't work, or can't be included due to implementation problems. If you wish to be in thread, by all means, be constructive.

Quote:
What comes to altering the combat engine as it is, it's getting a bit of a tired subject to speculate about, as round 13 it was announced that there'd be a PAN for round 17, and a while after round 17 it was also stated that for round 22 a new combat engine would be coded, and... Beyond. Discussing changes at the moment probably should take into account to some extent the possibilities of implementing them. A new combat engine is rather distant. Implementing new ship classes might not be, but you could probably come up with something else that "Let's create ships that are stronger than other ships and do something, I don't know yet, someone could build them, someone not" in the fashion of "let's do something" and after five posts "well let's do another thing". Instead, replying to "how to implement this under current combat system given the percential targeting, pod class focused attack fleets, and such" would be far more constructive to the idea than just changing the idea on flight every twenty minutes.
Suggestions on new ships, fleets, game design should not cease just because there are current issues with the game or combat engine. Any idea presented is likely to need fleshing out, tidying, fitting within what can be coded and another 50 things. Its in the thread for people to discuss. Not just sit there and reposte with 'superships by default, no. no. no.'

Quote:
Marine carriers exist to board and steal flagship, roid (assuming astropod here), and structure killer class vessels. Initially, that sounds like a brilliant idea.

After you've thought about it for five minutes, you realize, that you simply cannot (with enough pods you can, but the marine vessels will always pick the pods from the fleets) steal asteroids from a xandathrii with enough ghost "chassis" marine vessels unless you can kill/stun/steal these vessels.
While shooting down ideas, you happened to miss part of it. I said that Flag ships would have a high init (late), so would the marine carriers, but beyond that, any new ship presented will have to have the once over in terms of its values for the purpose of balancing the game. What the **** is the point in saying no new ships, no no no, because woooooo wooooo woooooo if we don't think about it, the whole game is unbalanced. In the case above, the marine carriers have a later init than the pods, and are mincemeat for combat ships anyway, aside from having some extra armour.

Like EVERY other ship ever entering the game, new ships and ship types would have to have balance considered in their implementation. This is not a reason to say don't have them.

It was never about bringing in a new killer ship. It was about just starting to flesh out an idea. For all I know, if we cut down the operational impact of flagships and marine carriers, as we're just tossing the idea around.

Even if we came out of this thread with the idea that each player having a flagship that was ceremonial more than anything else, and if you can capture one you gain 100k score would add an element of fun in the game.

This is not a lot different from special roids or other ideas that have been around.