View Single Post
Unread 11 May 2006, 11:47   #13
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Re: A betting system to encourage helping newbies (and alliance/galmates!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned
The built in limitation is that you can't bet on the same outcome twice. You can't bet someone will get into the top100 two times, you'd have to bet 100, then 99. It would probably be better to either to limit it to 'higher than current highest rank'. So if I've been up to rank 2 (after protection, I guess), the 'worst' anyone could bet on for me would be rank 1. Another way to limit it would be to make brackets. Top100, top200, top500 etc.
It does need some sort of limitation, these aren't bad.

Quote:
Congratulations on missing the point. Your formula means that very quick, sharp rises (such as my rise of ~2k ranks in a day last round) are very well rewarded. This directly favoritizes the alliance 'farming' stuff you complained about earlier.
It was an idea for a reward system. It's much easier for low ranking players to gain ranks than high ranking players. Therefore, it'd be more worthwhile to bet on small planets and help them rise through the ranks via donations and helping them attack than betting on alliance mates in the top 200 who might rise 50 ranks with a few good attacks.
The time modifier wasn't essential, but there to reward some sort of speed in achieving your goal.

Quote:
My system means that the largest gains are from the slowest rank climbers. If I pay 100k for a newbie to get into the top500, and he does it 500 ticks from now, I get a return ~3 million (going by last round).
fair enough
Quote:
The return would be very small.
so why is anyone going to use it?

Quote:
I dislike the idea that I'm unable to help someone just because they're not in my galaxy. That's just me though.
There's a difference between helping them and betting on them. You can help them in any galaxy. Going by the current system, if you just exile small planets but keep in contact and help them 'remotely' then you can a) continue the search for a decent galaxy and b) get rewards from bets on small planets. making it galaxy based - i.e. "you only get the reward if they're in your galaxy and stay in your galaxy" means that you're more likely to help the galaxy.