View Single Post
Unread 8 Jan 2008, 14:42   #7
Phil M

Phil M is a jewel in the roughPhil M is a jewel in the roughPhil M is a jewel in the roughPhil M is a jewel in the rough
Re: A Planetarion vision - a manager required?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smudge
I think that Kal has the PA Manager role cornered as he has fingers in many pots; if Appoco gave up coding I'm pretty sure there would be little dev done on PA as the coding pool would shrink from 2 to 1 (Cin does some if I remember correctly).

Dev Team was myk and Appoco but then myk found real life. If the community was asked to do the portal I'm pretty sure that we could come up with something pretty damn funky and in a much shorter time frame than we've had with the current portal issue.
Recruit recruit recruit! The effort to get extra staff for Planetarion seems to have dried up badly.

There seems to be reasonable recruitment for multihunting and the support team, Fiery has two forum threads for both of these. It's an effort at least.

Game development isn't quite as fast as it could be and no recruitment is done. Some recruitment was done a while ago but it doesn't seem as if anyone got recruited from it, instead yet another support person was chosen. Many talented people are being missed because of the lack of recruitment here. I'd guess that some of the more skilled coders wouldn't have any interest in joining support or multihunters, they're being missed if this is the only recruitment being done. If my memory serves me correctly Appocomaster, myk and lenore are all people who have been through the support team. Sadly I can't think of anyone recruited in any other way.

Portal development is also slow and poor. Many people have offered to help with this in the past and the same people who have failed to give us a new website are the ones working on it. This is an area in which PA Team needs help from people.

I'd suggest the following to help bring extra useful staff to Planetarion:

Go through all people who have offered to help on the portal or game development and ask if they'd like to help finish the new website and portal. Ideally this wouldn't involve an NDA. Get the best contributors from this and turn them into game developers and then get them to sign an NDA. By introducing them to the portal and getting that done you'd have a finished website and you can see if the work they've done is of any use and if they're worthwhile to keep for more development.

Real life affects us all, most of PA Team have done a good job before but it's obvious that extra help is required.
Phil M is offline   Reply With Quote