Thread: A Plane Problem
View Single Post
Unread 21 Dec 2006, 13:57   #131
cura
Pro. Elbow Licker

cura is a splendid one to beholdcura is a splendid one to beholdcura is a splendid one to beholdcura is a splendid one to beholdcura is a splendid one to beholdcura is a splendid one to beholdcura is a splendid one to behold
Re: A Plane Problem

there's the threadmill working in one direction (horizontal) and gravity working in another (vertical)
the plane tries to both work horizontal in the opposite direction as the treadmill, because it needs to gather speed to be able to work vertical in the opposite direction of gravity

the plane will be pushed against the ground until it gains a significant horizontal speed, which it won't get because the treadmill makes sure it doesn't
to think the speed of the wheels balance out the speed of the treadmill and compare it to a waterplane or an "iceplane" or even a plane that hangs on a wire in the air is "plain" (hah see what I did there?) silly because a waterplane/iceplane needs to gather speed before it can lift off.. it's like trying to get an iceplane in the air that's trying to lift up with a rising runway (like a mountain) with engines that will never gain enough speed to counter-act the levity of the runway and gravity
it just won't work, gravity helps the treadmill

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablissimo
If, in your mind, the plane can reach some arbitrary speed but go no further because the treadmill is working against it, how can it reach that speed at all? Surely in your vision of this, if the treadmill is working against the plane then it can't begin moving at all?

Edit: Beaten by Mark =(
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
The amount of friction is largely constant (the velocity dependent part is much less than the constant resistance at any realistic speed), so if it can accelerate initially, why can it not subsequently?
no I was wrong, I didn't read the question right and thought the treadmill had a constant speed. after reading the question again my opinion is it won't get any speed at all

Last edited by cura; 21 Dec 2006 at 14:23.
cura is offline   Reply With Quote