View Single Post
Unread 9 Apr 2007, 21:49   #80
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: Best Sci-Fi Movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by horn
This view that 2001 has sort of lost the impact it had back in the day (shared by tk earlier in this thread), as far as i can tell isn't really true. Sure it got an academy nomination, but it lost out.... to rocky.
It got several nominations actually, and not just for 'best special effects' which used to be the token Sci Fi category. It also got nominated for Best Director and Best Screenplay, which are categories that the film industry takes far more seriously.

(Rocky was released several years later and so did not compete against 2001 for an Oscar.)
Quote:
I've heard it said a few times before that it also got panned by the critics on it's original release and it's only in the last decade or so that it's been recognised as a "great film" or whatever.
As I've suggested, I think people are reacting to the influence wielded by the film rather than to its greatness per se.
Quote:
I'm not sure why the emotional impact of the film would have changed over the years for you.
Well, it might be that I was 14 when I first saw it.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote