Thread: The Dole
View Single Post
Unread 20 Jun 2006, 14:38   #37
Dace
so f*cking zen

Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: The Dole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toccata & Fugue

I had a pretty similiar experience. I graduated in June and on the day of my graduation i was driven to the dole office by my parents and told to sign on. Having just been given the bit of paper which told me i'd ****ed up the last 4 years of my life AND signing on PROVING i'd ****ed up the last 4 years of my life made that day one of the worst i've ever experienced.

Anyway i graduated and had not a ****ing clue what i was supposed to do now. Futher education (ie Masters etc) was now closed to me. I didn't want to work in a bar again. I just didn't have a ****ing clue. EVery temp job seemed to want 6 months experience. It was just a nightmare.

3 months after signing on i still didn't have a job. I hadn't really been looking to be honest (i was still kinda in shock with my degree). So anyway i had my "3 month meeting" with my job adviser. He asked me what kind of jobs i was after. I was fairly non-commital. he told me a bunch of jobs had come up at the passport office and, after i said "sure, why not", requested application forms for me. I applied for PO1 and PO2 jobs. I got interviews for both.

I didn't get a PO2 job (which basically invovles making sure that the details on an application form match the details on the previous passport).

I didn't get a full time PO1 job (which basically involves making sure you know your alphabet so you can file things. You also need to be able to press a button to print off an address label which you then put on an envelope).

I did however get a part time part year evening shift PO1 job.

That job paid £9.8k pro rata.

I was told i had the job at the start of September but didnt actually do my first shift until the end of February (goooooo security clearance). As such i was unemploed for 8 months (although i got a job after 5).

All this with a degree and some experience in various kinds of job (supermarket, lab, pub).

Come the end of September i was temporarally unemployed again. I refused to sign on for the next 3 months that this was the case. I was still finding it somewhat difficult to come to terms with my new circumstances.

On a similar note ... my friend has a 2:1 degree in mechanical engineering from Strathclyde. He also has a masters in some kind of IT thing from Imperial. It took him 9 months to get a job and he was applying for EVERYTHING (even slightly related)!