View Single Post
Unread 22 Nov 2005, 15:01   #4
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold
Re: Switch/Router to work with Netgear SC101 (DHCP help?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by meglamaniac
There is an inbetween option - if you enable Internet Connection Sharing for your USB modem (it doesn't need to be dialup, this works with ADSL or Cable) then your Windows PC will start acting as a DHCP server.

Failing that then yes a hardware router would be an option. Switches do not have DHCP servers - they are strictly to transfer local network traffic (ie. traffic on the same subnet).
Thanks, I knew you'd be able to help

Don't I already have ICS on as I have USB Modem -> Main PC -> Switch -> Other PCs?
Could you explain briefly what I need to do to configure ICS to use DHCP?

Also would ICS work with the SC101 connected to the switch or would I need to directly connect it to the PC instead?

Are there any specific routers you'd recommend or would any do what I want? I guess wireless would be better as long as it had at least one ethernet port to connect the SC101 to.
Are the best i've ever had
Ragnarak is offline   Reply With Quote