View Single Post
Unread 10 Jul 2006, 22:44   #1
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Labour, Tony Blair, Authoritarianism and erosion of civil liberties

I originally posted much of this in response to another thread, but decided it merited it's own discussion.

Earlier, I was reading a blog linked from somewhere or other. This is not normally something I do as I see most of this "web 2.0" bollocks as just that. However, this one entry is more than the usual "today I woke up and cut myself again."

It has relevance to the discussion, and linked to another article I already read in paper format this morning. I think you should read, or at least skim, both.

Blog: Freedom Of Speech Does Not Extend To Criticising The Police - The Londonist
Newspaper article: Blair laid bare: the article that may get you arrested - The Independant
Follow up proving that the article did, indeed, almost get someone arrested: Police hold mother-of-three for reading 'Independent' outside Downing Street - The Independant

It worries me that it took spelling it out in black and white for me to be made aware of quite how much damage Blair has done. The information has been available to anyone who wanted it, but, like most of the public at large, I couldn't be bothered to make the effort to find it. There have always been things I've disagreed with that Labour have done, the primary one being the Terrorism act - the imprisonment without trial, and the it's-not-house-arrest-because-we've-called-it-something-else bit. The demonstration restriction round parliament is also pretty bullshit. However, to see it all laid out for me like that is a very worrying thing.

Has anyone read or watched V for Vendetta? Does anyone else worry that this all has a whiff of Adam Sutler and Norsefire about it?

It comes to something when you're forced to vote Tory for the less authoritarian option, but that's what I'll be doing come the next chance.

Incidentally I don't have access to the full text of the article followup, so if anyone does and fancies posting it or a summary thereof, that'd be ace.