View Single Post
Unread 11 Dec 2006, 20:23   #11
Barrow|Pony
snadwich fetcher

Barrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Going to the USA next year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Structural Integrity
We plan on starting in the West, and end our journey in the East...
In other words, I have no idea.
We want to visit the major attractions in the US that you hear about over here on the other side of the big blue water, such as the "Grand Canyon". We started putting dots on a map with these kind of locations that popped in our heads, and it seems like we can combine the following locations in our route
LA
Death Valley
Las Vegas
Hoover Dam
Grand Canyon
<gap>
Rocky mountains
<gap>
Mt. Rushmoore
<huge gap>
New York

San Fransisco would be great, but it's quite a distance from LA.
You could theoretically do this, but its a tremendously awkward route. By starting in LA and driving through the Mojave (death valley), you'd be going about 15 hours south of Vegas, but you'd be (relatively) close to the Grand Canyon and Hoover Dam. Mt. Rushmore is in South Dakota, which is about as far from anything else as you get in the US.

I think you'd want to pick one route, either southern, hitting LA, the Mojave, Rt. 66, New Orleans (though im not entirely sure what the state of the city will be come next summer), then up the east coast through Atlanta, Washington DC and then NYC/Boston...or...LA to San Francisco (drive California Rt. 1, the prettiest road I've ever seen), through the Redwood Natl. Forest then Vegas (Lake Placid?), up to Mt. Rushmore and then NYC.

Driving back and forth between the northern and southern borders multiple times isn't really feasible.

also: in the summer, I'd advise a more northern route. The Mojave and down through Oklahoma and Texas is a pain in the ass.