View Single Post
Unread 14 Mar 2010, 16:48   #13
ellonweb

ellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant future
Re: ASS, shaking it into Rd36

I know that obviously this is your alliance and you do things the way you want to, but I feel that you're actually doing this wrong. It's one thing for a successful alliance to have this attitude of "if you want to join us, you're going to have to read our huge mother****ing rule book" (as an aside, note however that the most successful alliance in recent history has no such silly rules), but as a newbie training alliance (please correct me if I'm making an incorrect assumption here) you should be much more welcoming.

It's well known that the current PA manual is itself a horrid collection of incomprehensible numbers and masses of unfriendly text, while it has its uses, this is most definitely not newbie friendly, and you should not take the attitude that "well, if the game manual can be that bad, so can we".

The fact that players have already invested the time to figure out the game at some basic level, have understood the importance of alliances, and then turned up looking at your door goes to prove they have some level of commitment to the game already, and so you can't try and take the attitude that "if they aren't willing to read our wall of text, then you're playing the wrong game".

To provide some constructive feedback, let me compare your post to the PA manual. Both documents detail everything in full, and while it is good to give full disclosure (and bad to have such ridiculous bureaucracy, but that's an aside), it is most definitely the wrong thing to provide as the entry point to your alliance / the game. Newbies playing the game for the first time will want to know how to launch an attack, and to be provided with some basic way of working out whether or not they will be successful - they do not want to be overwhelmed by formulas. Likewise, a newbie will be interested to see that your alliance will be able to organise defence for them, but giving the full details of your defence point system is just a case of information overload.

My advice to you is that you make a shorter, more vague and concise thread which will serve as a much more inviting entry point for new players. The intricate details of the ins and outs of how your alliance operates has no place on this forum in my opinion.
ellonweb is offline   Reply With Quote