View Single Post
Unread 7 Sep 2008, 22:20   #1
Marka
xVx

Marka is just really niceMarka is just really niceMarka is just really niceMarka is just really niceMarka is just really nice
More "realistic" fleet sizes and prizes

As probably everyone gonna jump on the "this-is-not-supposed-to-be-realistic" bandwagon - I am aware of that. Yet the whole numbers don't add up to something even remotely resembling potential realism.

As an example - my population atm - around 1.600.000.
Number of ships 200k ish - 70k of those Cr.
I know that the population number is bollocks - but to have any civilized planet in the future with a fleet of 2.000.000 ships (late round) is plain stupid.
100.000 Battleships alone would require complement of 100.000.000 people. Which in itself exceeds armies on earth altogether (we can agree that earth is densely populated and very militarized).
Even if we assume automated ships - how could a civilization possibly get enough resources to build that many ships? For a battleship I imagine a massive thing - at least 250m long - a single one would weigh at least 50.000t. Producing 20.000 of those - frankly impossible.

Another point would be relative pricing (Xan example)
Figher - 120
Battleship - 810
So we pay about 7 times a price for a massive assault ship that we pay for a single pilot fighter. There's a reason US Forces only have 11 aircraft carriers - but 14k planes and helis.

If I visualize a space battle I usually think of movies like Star Wars or Serenity - where even in huge battles rarely more than 500 ships been involved - of the biggest classes maybe a dozen.

So my sugggestion is a reality check on stats - reduce the amount of ships severely and fix relative pricing.
There is no way any planet could or should have more than 100000 fighters or 500 battleships. Why not pay 500.000 each for a BS (which in return would be a bitch to kill ofc).
When I was a kid watching Star Wars I flinched when seeing a single Star Destroyer - gimme that feeling for PA Ships