View Single Post
Unread 27 Aug 2006, 13:30   #36
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place
Re: Cheating accusations - not in the open

Quote:
Originally Posted by furball
So you're using a conversation from a private IRC channel to demand changes to both public IRC channels and the PA forums? Wonderful way to back up an argument there.

You're not going to get a gentleman's agreement out of this, I just don't see it happening. One retard does not equal this level of censorship being proposed.
This is why I wasn't backing up the argument, I was *agreeing* that the "shaming" is a decent (Couldn't come up with a better word) way of the community working it's toll against cheaters, but there's some people who take the "shaming" to an extent where it's no longer "shaming cheaters" but witch hunt based on personal feelings and vendetta. When there's evidence around of cheating, it's definately "good" for the community to put pressure on it through "shaming", but when the evidence is at best mostly not available (claimed to exist but not disclosed to people), and of the available parts futile (based on emotions, and vain claims), it gets a little pathetic.

It's like I'd be running around with a serious shaming agenda on my mind claiming furball cheats just because I don't like furball and he's definately a cheater and the fact that he moderates a PA forum just backs up his cheating he's definately in the inner circle of PA-team involved cheaters. I have tons of evidence, IRC logs and all, but I definately won't show them, you can ask them from another person too, who won't show them either. This is the point where the "good sides of shaming" become the "bad sides of gossip and witch hunt", spite being a public or private channel. And what place, would, eventually, be a better place to propage than a channel where a lot of alliance leaders sit in? Obviously a good way to make yourself appear ridiculous too.

edit.

so you won't misunderstand it - this is WHY I quoted you saying "naming and shaming is the way to go" and said "Yes, definately - to an extent".
"Oh, wretched race of a day, children of chance and misery, why do ye compel me to say to you what it were most expedient for you not to hear? What is best of all is for ever beyond your reach: not to be born, not to be, to be nothing. The second best for you, however, is soon to die". Silenus, tutor to Dionysos, speaking to King Midas.
Tietäjä is offline   Reply With Quote