View Single Post
Unread 21 Sep 2010, 12:21   #59
Light
You've Seen The Light

Light has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Planetarion Redesign

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
I think its time to do this.

Its always been a problem that cat have total emp, which is good for the start of the round, but the end round its hard for them.

People will now ask for a choice on which way you go, so choosing cloak will cancel out emp/steal, and vice versa.

I however think we could have base ships which are open to everyone (1 of every class), then each tech gives you 3 new ships. Two new attacking ships and a roiding ship.

Also the big one for me would be EMP SHIELDS! Lets do away with resist and just move it to the same as armor.

Remove Damage and use Guns only.
The thing is, you've still got races and still got to balance them as you're forcing a choice which is irreversable. You've just changed the race from startup to choosing in the tech-tree.

This keeps the same problem, Xan is fi/co as you said.. so how would you balance that in the tech tree as they'd naturally get fi/co earlier.

Wouldnt it just be much better to have a mixture of ships in a variety of positions in the tech tree with no definitive choice. As the player progresses through the tech tree, they unlock ships which are better than the ships they had before. A player could choose to have some EMP, some Steal and some Cloaked, as they progress through the round they might replace some of their early EMP ships with better cloaked ships or vice versa.

The limiting factor would be that the tech-tree is bigger than the round, so a player cannot research every ship and has to prioritise. The 'best' ships at the end of the tech tree cant all be research and the player has to choose just due to time.
First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it.
Light is offline   Reply With Quote