View Single Post
Unread 10 Jan 2006, 18:28   #27
Bromcrysal
We are but Men... ROCK!

Bromcrysal has a spectacular aura aboutBromcrysal has a spectacular aura aboutBromcrysal has a spectacular aura about
Re: Call For Comments: Round 16 beta stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned
The problem is that I've essentially painted myself into a corner (which is inevitable with stats, I'm quite sure I could prove mathematically that it's impossible to make a balanced set of stats, given a few rules to define what balanced is). Neither CR nor BS can hit the other at the moment: it would give Zik 0-loss ship gains at alliance ETA or same class stealers. Both are big, big no-nos. So anti-CR and BS must be in other classes. Viable classes are FR and DE for anti-CR, and FR for BS. To change this would mean changing the roiding fleets, which means changing the defenses against them which means lots of work, which is inevitably going to end up with the same problems.
Don't worry! We have faith in you!

And you're right, it's really hard to balance these things. I've had experience with such things, in the case of making stats and abilities for roleplaying games, and I know how hard it is to anticipate the "X works with Y, which makes A better than B or C" stuff. Besides, this game makes every player an armchair mathematicion, so we'll always find something to gripe about. Don't worry about it too much. As long as it gets close to balanced, It'll be fun to play. I played Terran last time and had a blast