View Single Post
Unread 7 Aug 2007, 13:24   #61
wheels

wheels is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Premiership Predictions 2007/2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by furball
Best defence outside the top 4? What about Spurs or West Ham?

Also, Nugent is unproven and Benjani is hardly a goal-machine.
Spurs? You've got to be joking. Ledley King needs a top organiser to get the best out of him. His football brain isn't great and I just think he's overrated. Dawson is alright I suppose but wouldn't make the Pompey team. The there's Bale. An unproven teenager who I saw getting destroyed by Damien Duff at Croke Park. Chimbonda is decent too but another overrated player imo. Compared to the rest of their team, the defence is poor and will let them down badly.

West Ham are another team without a great organiser. You can't understate how important that is.

Distin was part of an excellent defence at Man City last season. If it wasn't for City's defence they'd have been relegated, no doubt about it. It was a lot better than Spurs. Distin missed 1 game last season, against Wigan. City conceded 3 goals that day.

Pompey's defence was excellent last season but they've just strenghtened it again. Their central defensive partnership is good enough for the likes of Arsenal imho. Lauren missed the whole of 2006 through injury but he will be excellent for them if back on form.

They spent £7m on Muntari. Man Utd wanted him a year ago but Udinese wanted £11m. He's very highly rated and is a great signing imo. Mendes is a very good player in the holding role.

Utaka also cost a lot and according to him, Man Utd and Newcastle wanted him. He averages a goal every 3 games. Redknapp has said he's going to play him on the wing. He has blistering pace.

Kranjcar improved a lot in the 2nd half of last season. He has tremendous natural ability. He could be a star for them this season.

Pompey fans reckon they'll sign another striker this summer. They won't be missing goals from midfield this season anyway. I think Nugent may just be lacking confidence atm but he has great potential. Don't write him off already.

Portsmouth have improved hugely on last season.
wheels is offline   Reply With Quote