Thread: New PC
View Single Post
Unread 18 Jan 2008, 00:13   #14
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: New PC

5 minutes gave me ~£691 including VAT (but excluding monitors and control devices) for a PC of similar specs from Ebuyer, albeit with my second choice of motherboard because they didn't have the Abit IP35.

(Q6600, 2x2GB Corsair DDR2 6400, 2x500GB Western Digital sata HDD, some 8800GT (they're all pretty much the same), Antec Sonata III with 500W (and decent) PSU)

Just realised I forgot the optical drive as well, but if you pay more than £30 for one you've gone mad.

http://techreport.com/articles.x/13660 is from a while ago, but their advice is still basically sound where it comes to the "sweet spot", which is what you're after.

Note that Dell monitors, while good, are disproportionately expensive in the UK compared to others of similar performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny
The advice about having 1Gb of idle ram is appreciated though, can knock £70 off the price by taking it down to 3Gb.
You can get 4 gigs of RAM for £70 nowadays.

Quote:
Also if I downgraded the card from a 768Mb 8800 GTX, from what I can make out you're suggesting that I opt for the 512Mb 8800 GT instead due to performance issues of the 'faster' card?
It's not a performance issue, you just always pay a huge premium for the fastest available card.

Quote:
However - if I wanted to opt for dual sli graphics cards and thus dual monitors, I can't find anything online that could touch the price of the rig I've chosen above (high though it is).
You don't need SLI for dual monitors, and it's not really useful at all right now.

Last edited by MrL_JaKiri; 18 Jan 2008 at 00:21.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote