View Single Post
Unread 16 Nov 2009, 04:46   #166
Light
You've Seen The Light

Light has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Interesting change in politics

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood View Post
The point is that war games like PA are this way. If anything the membercap affects this even more. Most people just aren't going to believe, say, a Subh versus an Ascendancy with both possessing roughly similar numbers will result in anything but an Ascendancy victory. So, almost immediately, you've got a contest which won't be picked up on. Most wars nowadays are a matter of numbers and the game itself is more about putting off the wars until you can win them (trust me on this, I was pretty good at it!) than it is about doing anything particularly exciting during the actual war itself.
I'm in two minds about the membercap, I do agree that it affects it alot more and ultimately i would much prefer 2 huge absolutly dominante alliances fighting for #1 than 4 smaller alliances fighting for #1 (two of which are outclassed).

The other side of me thinks, can the PA community be trusted not to over-recruit? creating just one huge alliance. Its also a case of if you've only got 2 huge alliances, it would ruin the game if they decided to nap (which the losing alliance would probably want to do mid/late round), as they could then easily kill every other alliance. I personally dont have that much faith in alliance HC's decisions...

Quote:
What most people fail to realise is that this is the essence of war. Not to sound overly pretentious but as sun tzu said “victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.” It's all about timing. Planetarion manages to make this boring by virtue of the limitations it imposes. I mean seriously, I can't even imagine, within the confines of the rules this game now has, what could possibly happen to make this round genuinely compelling.
The thing with your quote is... how much do you have to win by before you decide to go to war? like what happend earlier, 6 alliances gangbanging one

Quote:
I don't believe fiddling with the numbers will help at all. It'll just be harder to win and still boring. You need to change something fundamental in the way we play the game for people to actually become interested again.
PA Team will never change anything fundamental now, as it's deemed too risky
First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it.
Light is offline   Reply With Quote