View Single Post
Unread 4 Feb 2006, 00:51   #11
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society
Re: [economics]the state of the us-economy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toccata & Fugue
i think the main problem is that when you talk about economics you don't appear to know what you are talking about. You look at the wrong econmic indicators and you have blind faith that in the market place if you do X then Y happens, didn't you miss the bit where that never actually worked.

Lets put another way. You are talking about the US federal reserve giving money to consumers, but you are talking about a relatively select group of consumers who benefit significantly from cuts in mortgage rates.

Here are some more important economic indicators. If the US Government had diverted the money they put into the Iraq war and the money they spent on tax cuts for the wealthy, then the US would have an amazing social security system. We are talking a trillion dollars of investment going straight into the pockets of a large number of people. So you can talk all the shit you like about the federal reserve going into consumers pockets but go and tell that to the millions of Americans without health insurance, or job security, or a proper house. You see when these thigns exist you know that there already is a recession, just becasue the numbers are OK it doesn't mean shit. Christ its like talking to a child.
You dont make much sense today, first you ask me why I care about the yanks and then you tell me that I should worry about the whole population. To those outside the US only the people who profit from the housing bubble are important, because only they create demand for goods. If they suddenly stop buying stuff, the world economy is in trouble.
Yes, the US has a rather poor social security system, but that's their problem and it's hardly anything new. If you want, try to talk to your average redneck about how public healthcare is a good idea or why you would expect any decent society to help those people who can't help themselves instead of letting them become homeless or take three jobs for the minimum wage. I promise you, you wont get very far. I know all that, but it's not the issue here.