Thread: R65. Who wins?
View Single Post
Unread 14 Feb 2016, 22:21   #67
Zh|l
Inquisitor

Zh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: R65. Who wins?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodyButcher View Post
Why on earth would any sane HC ruin his own alliance in return of having someone, who perhaps have "set on the fence" earlier in the round to gain teh advantage over the lower ranked alliance, win the round? The "sneakers" in boojis post.
BowS did this one round, and im sure they will never ever do it again, as it almost resulted in the alliance folding after it.
Nobody is denying that Ultores is the beachmaster in this game, but surely it must be up to the sneakers to try do something about it?
CT/FL/p3ng sent out 8k attack fleets in total last round. Im sure if they, or any other alliance in the 2nd tier, decided to aim more of these fleets on Ult in the first place, Ult would never get into a position like this midway through the round.
I never said it was up to the smaller alliances not playing for number one to initiate anything. As booj already pointed out, in the current climate you simply don't want to be number one for the first half of the round.

Any 'sane HC' will do things for their alliance that will benefit it in the long run. It's very difficult when you're in a position where the bigger alliances can literally do anything they want and it's actually in their favour for big wars to break out.

While it isn't the duty or anything of smaller alliances to help take down a more entrenched alliance, the benefits of doing so are many. I'll post just a few:

1) Generally the #1 alliance will become besieged and have no fleet slots to help out their allies. If you're looking at a 'side' to join then the one with the more fleets is better. (Of course there ARE times when joining the number one is better)

2) Getting a galactic war started is GOOD for the smaller alliances as it means you know you're not getting hit by random galaxy raids from the top 4/5. It gives you breathing room to grow and less incomings. The longer the war goes on - the better!

3) Finding a bigger alliance as a friend can be tough for smaller alliances when they are generally tossed aside, especially one you can trust. Doing "your bit" and fostering relations can help the inevitable moment that the target alliance is 'defeated'.

In my time with Spore I tried my best to link up with 'other alliances'. Heroes/Ascendancy/Insomnia/New Dawn (after they suffered horrible losses) etc. All the time, these alliances were considered 'insignificant' by other top alliances - to me, they were another potential friend.

Also, the disbanding of Black Flag HAS knocked things. It creates a political vacuum that must be filled. Ultores clearly banked on being able to roll through the round without coordinated resistance. Good on the "Coalition" for getting their act together and creating a challenge.

What always boggles me is how Ultores seem "shocked" by it, or even jaded by it. Ultores could easily use different tactics to offset all of these things but it doesn't seem too. Never seems too. Brute force can only get you so far.

Zhil
[Spore] Executive
[1up]
[Fury]
Inquisitorial Lord Protector of His Emperor's Glorius Empire
[20:19:04] <mazzelaar> I have to say a big up to Zhil - without those 8 def calls you covered we would've been screwed. | r12 End Ceremony
Zh|l is offline   Reply With Quote