Thread: Tomorrow
View Single Post
Unread 5 Jun 2005, 23:56   #21
Nusselt
share the <3

Nusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better place
Re: Tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilyn Manson
I don't see how, if you're fighting for the ultimate victory of a set of political principles, then you are not, by definition, fighting for their general perpetuation down the generations.

In any case, whatever their specific motivations, their sacrifices made our little corner of the world an infinitely better place, and they sustained the rights and lifestyles we enjoy today through that effort. You argument is, at best, extremely churlish.
If they volunteered to join the army id agree, if they were conscripted it becomes unclear.

Im not being churlish, or my intention wasn't to be. But i stand by what ive said. I don't honour specific moments in 2000 years of british history, i don't honour nelson's victory, neither do i stand for a moment in dishonour at the actions comitted by britain in those 2000 years. I just accept that it was what it was. I've already said i don't deny the allies were 'better' than the axis powers and to whatever degree im 'happy' they won.

My problem with honouring them, apart from the date being non-intuitive, is i don't see why one moment should be picked out, when britain had a distinct moral superiority over its foes, and held up as an example of all time. I take all history as it occured. Do the men who fought in WWII dishonour the memories of their fathers who set the seeds for WWII by fighting in WWI?

They did what they had to do to get along with their lifes, like every generation before and since. I accept that, and i accept that those who come after me owe me nothing.