View Single Post
Unread 1 May 2015, 10:41   #116
M0RPH3US
idle

M0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really nice
Re: mass NAPing- yawn boring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk View Post
I feel players have an informal responsibility to assist PA Team with catching cheaters. If at any point you were aware of actions that you believe were illegal, then you should've contacted the MHs. If not, then not. That said, I'd guess about half the active playerbase in PA has benefitted from a scanner bot (as opposed to a scans bot) at one point or another, including me, so singling you out for public scrutiny is unreasonable. Glass houses.

As for what to do, now that a public statement by Appoco has (seemingly) contradicted statements by BF representatives, that's a tough one. BF members (and everyone else) were told by BF HCs that the bot was legal. While that statement on its own may be a bit hard to believe, the common trope for people using bots like this has been 'the MHs approved it'. Being vigilant for cheating is one thing; accusing people of outright lying is quite another. I see no reason for an alliance-wide crackdown as Butcher the Holy Crusader is proposing. What does remain is two options:

1) The bot owners either flat out lied about speaking to the MHs, or they misrepresented how the bot works and what it does, or they accurately represented one version of a bot, then expanded it after the fact. I've heard people claim their bot wasn't really a bot because it consisted of three distinct pieces. Hilarious, but you can see how that kind of convoluted thinking might cause an MH to draw the wrong conclusion. Simple: Close the bot(s), the bot owner(s), and the HCs that organized systemic cheating. Since providing scans is one of the main functions of alliances (attacks, defense, politics, scans), it is ultimately the HCs who are responsible for a scanner bot. In lieu of accurate information about who's in charge of what, that's the person who signed up the tag, as the 'owner' of the alliance.

2) The bot owners really did describe the bot's functions to the MHs and accurately explained what actions the bot could take without human intervention and which it couldn't. Despite the clear bothood, the MHs really did approve. If that's the case, no one's guitly of anything (except the MHs, of gross stupidity). Close this bot immediately (because the EULA allows Ranul Tech to change its mind about its contents, let alone how it's to be interpreted), but do not close or even warn the bot owner. Inform the community that this type of bot is no longer allowed and will be treated as willful botting (rather that unintentional) botting starting 72 hours from now, and that existing bots must be deleted by that point. 72 hours later, treat all remaining bots as instances of option 1 and go on a MH spree.

For people who may not be aware: CT members are required to run a Greasemonkey script that takes all the scans they see ingame and posts them to the CT webbie. My first thought was that this is not a bot, because it takes no actions in the game, but a closer reading of the ters and conditions requires only 'access' to the game, for example 'using browser plugins that make it easier for you to play the game'. If that's not the definition of Greasemonkey scripts then I don't know what is. I am therefore now inclined to agree with Bashar, though the absence of in-game actions make this a minor offense at worst.

And for the sake of completeness: Merlin and Munin have long had functionality that allowed it to retrieve scans. However, it can only do so when the URLs are pasted on IRC (or into the webbie), and it uses an PA API designed specifically for bots to access them (this one). It is possible for a scanner bot to feed scan URLs into Merlin/Munin, but M*in on their own cannot.
nothing to add here - even though the ways of punishment suggested (and reasonable) dont feel like they make up for the damage caused

now i guess its for MH to clarify to Appoco/Cin and then for them to take action

On a sidenote: Especially in the early ticks of a round p3nguins for sure lost some roids due to not beeing able to have a scan on time - not because of dists, but because of our dedicated scanners simply not beeing online

So a Scanbot is a HUGE advantage for any alliance or group of players - even worse then someones imaginary gf playing a scan account...

Maybe if things get prooven The Tag Owner should be banned from leading any Alliance-Tag in future, though i am well aware he could just sign up his boysfriends account to make a tag

But at least it would be a sign that Admins do not regard systematic cheating as a minor problem
(i personally think that the admin team is too afraid to loose any more players - so they tend to close both eyes at times)

my 2 cents

"Itīs not about how hard u hit, its about how hard u can get hit and still keep moving forward! How much u can take and still move forward!"
M0RPH3US is offline   Reply With Quote