View Single Post
Unread 6 Nov 2004, 02:09   #11
Pilatus

Pilatus has a spectacular aura aboutPilatus has a spectacular aura about
Re: Networking through a hub

Not sure what i wrote there, and don't care to read it since i were wasted when i wrote it.

If you sure it's a hub that's connected to the machine that's connected to the internet, then i would activate Internet Connection Sharing on the xp machine(as linus told you).

On the pc with win 98, it's important that you atleast have an ip-address between 192.168.0.2-192.168.0.254 and choosen 192.168.0.1 as the default gateway( On Control Panel > Network Connections > local area connection), and you need to have the same dns servers as your internet connection. It's a while since i used win98, but i think it's enough to try the diffenent options on Start > Accessories > Communications if you have problems.

If your other machines are using xp, You just need to choose properties on the dial-up connection you got to internet, and activate Internet Connection Sharing on the advance tab. On the other machines(if they are xp) you'll choose Start-> Accessories > Communications > Network Setup Wizard and choose the dial-up machine as your connection to internet.

If you have problems after that, then on the machine connected to the internet choose: Start > run > cmd and in the command shell and write(You need to be connected to the internet to do this): ipconfig /all and put the address of dns server TCP/IP properties of the Network card that is connected to the hub (most likely it's only called Local Area Connection), and choose the same subnet mask and something like 192.168.0.2 in the ip address (aslong as none of your other pc's got that address.something with 192.168.0.<something between 2-254 should be good enough>, and make sure that the first dns servers ip address in the TCP/IP properties of your Local Area Connection is the same as one of those on the "ipconfig /all" command displays on the machine connected to the internet.

Last edited by Pilatus; 28 Nov 2004 at 05:30.
Pilatus is offline   Reply With Quote